Between work, taking care of the kids/family, and the seemingly never-ending battle of trying to elevate ourselves, we tend to neglect our own basic needs in the process. Not fully recognizing that everything requires balance, especially for the purpose of self-care and reconnection. So, I wanted to put together a list of quick tips on ways to "unplug and reconnect with ourselves"...
1 - Meditation/Spirituality: Connecting with a higher power is one of the best ways to strengthen focus, enhance positivity and feel centered.
2- Exercise/Fitness: Whether you are doing cardio or strength training, exercise is a beneficial way to work on yourself while reducing stress level/anxiety from your day to day life. As a Fitness professional and exercise enthusiast, one of my favorites is running. I recognize the signficance of focusing on my cardio, while physically challenging myself and releasing the stress from the week.
3- Finding your purpose/passion I’m a firm believer in the power of purpose. Finding what makes you happy while also benefiting others, whether it's through helping to raise money for a charity or offering community service. In 2019, I joined the Zumbathon to raise money for Cancer, it was a win-win situation for me as I was doing a healthy activity that involved consistent physical movement, meeting new people and contributing to an important cause.
4- Make Self-Care a habit/Designating time for YOU: Writing down a schedule that is realistic to your life is a great way to prioritize yourself. Having an actual schedule on paper, helps to solidify it and increase the likelihood that you will keep it.
5. Redecorating/Creating Your Happy Place at home: Have a space in your home that you go to just for the purpose of unplugging from the rest of the world. I did this a while back, the space was my living room and instead of placing a coffee table there I made it an area just for working out.
6. A Spa-Massage: I remember the first time I went to a spa and enjoyed an amazing skin treatment and massage. I was greeted by the light sounds of a waterfall in a dimly lit room, after leaving the spa I felt rejuvenated and went back every other weekend! This is an excellent way to decompress and clear your mind.
7. Embracing your Creative Side: The power of creation is limitless, this can be from creating a beautiful dinner for family or showing your photography skills and sharing it with others. You don’t need to be an artist to be creative, this is just as much about nourishing the soul.
8. Connecting with friends, loved ones: When we connect with those that empower us, we easily embrace ourselves more. In some cases, it can help build/rebuild self-esteem. Keep your circle positive because that energy is just as contagious as negative energy.
9. Discovering New Places & Rediscovering Old Ones:
New places can be a local garden or a new beach that you’ve never had a chance to enjoy.
Rediscovering old ones, all too often I’ve heard people say, “I’ve already been there” ignoring the fact that you may have been to a place several times but it’s really a matter of perspective. If you go to the same place with an open mind and a sense of wanderment, you will surely allow yourself to see things that you may have overlooked or not fully appreciated the first time around (think about it).
10: When we look for beauty, we can find it:
Just think about when you’re at work reflecting on a difficult situation, instead of looking at how troubling it may have been try to focus on what you learned and how you can grow as you move forward.
Encourage yourself to take the glass half full approach to your situation, both past and present. The power of the mind is more powerful than we think.